Thursday, September 9, 2010

Diane Hacker site

In the Diane Hacker site, I found many practice exercises to improve my writing skills. For example, some of the practice exercises I liked were word choice, punctuation, and the transitions. I found this website to be very useful, especially the transition exercise. It helped give me ideas and extra words to choose from instead of my own same words. Another thing I found interesting was when I got the answers right, it showed in a box below that I selected the correct answer. However, when I got the wrong answers, it said sorry and it explained to me why it was wrong. There were three things I learned. I learned how to not write run-on sentences, for example, the incorrect answer they gave me was, “My sister Elaine was awarded the Medal of Honor, however, she was not able to attend the awards ceremony.” The correct answer was, “My sister Elaine was awarded the Medal of Honor, but she was not able to attend the awards ceremony. The other information I learned was about the purpose and audience, for example, I had to pick which one sound correct; this sentence is correct, “After the machine stops, move the control lever to the reverse position.” This one is incorrect, “Move the control lever to the reverse position after the machine stops. The last thing I learned was about numbers. I had to pick which one are the best and correct, such as, the two examples it gave me was “At the back of the garden are six large azaleas” and “At the back of the garden are 6 large azaleas.” The sentence with the writing six is the correct answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment